Achaneich is ideally placed in the heart of the Highlands – perfect for walking, fishing, climbing, skiing, or plain old sight-seeing. The River Spean at the bottom of the garden is popular with kayakers. The Nevis Range ski and mountain-biking centre on Aonach Mor is 5 miles away. There are plenty of beautiful walks – from the straightforward circuit around the Commando Memorial in Spean itself, to the wonderful parallel roads of Glen Roy.
- Three Wise Monkeys climbing centre – friendly crew ready to introduce you to climbing – particularly good for wet days
- The Nevis Range – our local home for skiing and mountain-biking, with fantastic high wire adventure and the gondola over the summer.
- Active Highs – loch- and river-based water-sports.
- Abacus Mountain Guides – providing top-level guiding in the area for the last 20 years, Mike Pescod and team will keep you on a safe footing.
- Highlands Weather Forecast – from the Met Office.
- Mountain Weather Forecast – detailed forecast if you’re planning on hillwalking.
- The Jacobite Steam Train – the journey made famous by the Harry Potter series of films (this is always booked up well in advance, so reserve your tickets the year before arriving!).
- The Highland Cinema – our brand new cinema is going to be showing great films – ideal for rest days!
- The Highland Bookshop – small, but beautiful.
- The West Highland Museum – this museum manages to bring much of the history of this area into one place.